background

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Troubles and Concerns

So even though we'd been released from the hospital we had a few issues to deal with. I was trying to breastfeed and Miss M was having a hard time latching and I was having a hard time manually pumping for her so we had to use formula and of course with pregnancy hormones and sleep deprivation came so very real tears and fears over feeding my little girl.

We had her 1st Pedi appointment when she was 7 days old and she'd lost too much weight so of course I was scared by that and then the her pediatrician Dr. E. told us that she also wanted us to see a pediatric orthopaedist over the clunking she had heard in Madelines hips, before we could even discuss when would be best for us to go the pediatricians office had called Motts Childrens and scheduled us for an appointment the following Monday morning. I wasn't allowed to drive yet after my surgery so it was a very good thing that Mr. S had taken 2 weeks off from work. That afternoon I managed to get a hold of the lactation consultant at the hospital and set up an appointment for that Saturday. I just wanted to feed my baby but get away from the formula if at all humanly possible, although the frustration was mounting and I felt like giving up on breastfeeding at all quite often that 1st week or so.

Saturday we went to our appointment with the lactation consultant, Madeline had a weak suck, a bad latch and just all around wasn't an effeicient eater.
We were shown a special feeding bottle called a Haberman feeder to try and get her suck corrected. In the meantime I rented a hospital grade pump and we began to wean her off of formula and on to breastmilk. As of 3 weeks old she was fully on breastmilk and we are at almost 10 1/2 months now with no formula. I continued to try and get her latched but finally at about 2 months I realized it was a losing battle so I have exclusively pumped milk for my daughter. It can be exhausting and it is definitely a challenge but in the long run it is the choice we as a family were happiest with.

No comments:

Post a Comment