background

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Birth day!

So my c-section was scheduled for 7:30 am and we were to arrive at the hospital by 5:30 am for surgery prep. I don't think either Mr. S or I slept much the night before the c-section. We both tried but anxiety and excitement just didn't allow for a ton of rest.

We got to the hospital to register and when we walked into registration the computers were down so they had to write everything out, so unusual in this electronic everything day and age.

We got registered and were sent up to the labor and delivery unit. I was given my wonderful hospital gown and got to change and lay down and have all sorts of poking and prodding. I was put on the monitor to watch Madeline's heart rate and make sure she wasn't in any distress.

So we had to be there for quite a while before my surgery, the doctors and nurses who were going to be with me all came in and introduced themselves not that I really remember any of them other than my OB who I knew before hand.

Finally it was time to head to the operating room. My nurse gave me the option of taking a ride in a wheelchair or walking. I chose to walk. I knew that it would be the last time for at least a few hours I would be able to walk on my own and in all actuality it turned out to be the last time that day that I was allowed. I wasn't allowed to walk until the next morning when they removed my catheter.

I got into the operating room and of course noticed that I felt like I was in a meat locker so very chilly. Once they gave me my spinal meds and catherized me the nurses gave me some warm blankets up on my shoulders to at least take some of the chill off. When the spinal meds kicked in I felt like my legs were blocks of ice. My OB got called away to go and deliver another baby being born in the L&D unit so I got to lay there and wait, they hadn't allowed Mr. S in yet so it was me and the medical team for what seemed like forever, in reality it was probably 15 minutes tops.

Finally my doctor was back and they started my c-section. At 8:13 am on April 23rd 2010 Madeline Rose S. was born.

She had a bit of fluid in her lungs and when she started crying she cried so hard she dropped her oxygen saturation so they whisked her away to the special care nursery. I didn't even get to see her until about 2 hours later.

My doctor sewed me up and I went to the recovery room. Mr. S stayed with me until they told him that he could go see her in the nursery. He went to see her and took our mothers in and then came back and stayed with me until they moved me to my room on the mother and baby unit.

About 2 hours after Madeline was born I was moved from a post op room to a room on the mother and baby unit. On the way to my room my nurses wheeled my bed into the special care nursery and I got to see my beautiful girl for the first time.


Madeline Rose S
9lbs 8oz
4-23-10
21 inches long

1 comment:

  1. How adorable! Enjoy these first few days, they are precious bonding time with her. Congratulations !!

    ReplyDelete